Thursday, October 22, 2009

Just Horsing Around

I recently was doing some pot melt work and had a very happy surprise come out of the kiln.  If you aren't familiar with potmelts, I create them like this:  I turn a small terra cotta pot upside down in the kiln and place an even smaller one right side up on top of the first, matching holes.  Then I place small pieces of glass in the top one, weighing it carefully so that I get exactly the finished size I want. (That's about all the control I get out of the whole process - the rest, as they say, are up to the 'kiln gods'.)  Once the kiln is going the glass melts in the top pot and dribbles down onto the kiln shelf and spreads out, sort of like the ripples on a pond.  I plan to take some photos of the process and post them sometime soon.


This finished potmelt was so unexpected and cool that I just had to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment