Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Glue

I've had a number of other artists ask me at a couple of recent shows about how I glue pieces together and it just came up again on one of my groups, so I thought I'd share here as well...

After much research, I discovered that many industrial adhesives have to be heat
cured at approx. 160-175F in order to adhere properly and create a stable bond.

So… I figured what the heck - nothing else I was using was working well (& I tried
ALOT of different adhesives). After some experimenting, here's what I came up
with:
  • I apply the E6000 to both pieces using a very thin layer on each;
  • Let them get a little tacky then stick'em together. 
  • Put the finished piece on a cookie sheet lined w/ aluminum foil and place in a COLD kitchen oven. 
  • Turn the oven on to 170F, heat for 25 min, turn off the oven
  • Let it cool to room temperature on its own.

I don't clamp anything together and it works like a charm every time. It is
also murder trying to get the stuff apart again once it comes out of the oven.

What I like best about this technique is not having to wait 2 days for
everything to set. I have also used this technique to adhere glass to drawer pulls and knobs
and have never had one come off.

No comments:

Post a Comment